High School Honors Overview
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
7:00 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
Naperville North High School-Large Cafeteria
899 Mill Street, Naperville
Please park in front and use entrance #1
Are you the parent of an 8th grade student who plans to take honors and AP courses in high school?
Does your child aspire to attend a selective or highly competitive college?
In December, all 8th graders will begin the process of deciding which courses to take during their freshman year in high school. But if you are new to the high school scene, you may be wondering:
• Should my child take honors /AP classes, and if so, when?
• How do selective college requirements differ from the basic high school graduation requirements?
• How is GPA calculated, and what factors impact it?
• When should we start worrying about standardized tests?
• Do academic alternatives such as summer school or dual credit classes benefit honors students?
• What role should extracurricular activities and community service play during my child’s high school career?
• How can my high-achieving kid find balance in high school – and not burn out?
Join STAGE as we host a panel discussion of veteran NCHS and NNHS parents whose children are high achievers. Hear how their families navigated the high school years. Karen Lemanski and Jeff Farson, Student Services Directors from NCHS and NNHS respectively, will also be on hand to answer questions.
Students are welcome to attend.